Look for small button mushrooms or cut medium-sized mushrooms in half. If desired, use another favourite cheese such as Cheddar or Swiss.
- 1 cup (250 mL) pot or pearl barley
- 2 cups (500 mL) water
- 1 medium green sweet pepper, cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces
- 1 medium red or orange sweet pepper, cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 zucchini, sliced horizontally then cut into ½ -inch (1 cm) slices
- ½ lb (225 g) button mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) dried basil
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Italian seasoning
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) olive oil
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
In a medium saucepan over high heat, bring barley and water to a boil. Cover pan and reduce heat. Simmer until barley is tender, about 40 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a 9 x 13-inch (23 x 33 cm) baking dish, combine peppers, onion, zucchini, and mushrooms. Sprinkle basil and Italian seasoning over vegetables.
In a small bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Drizzle over vegetables, then toss to coat well. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring vegetables after 15 minutes.
Stir cooked barley into vegetable mixture. Sprinkle cheese over top. Bake for another 15 minutes to finish cooking vegetables and melt cheese.
Makes 8 cups (2 L).
Nutritional Information (per 1 cup (250 mL)): Calories: 201; Protein: 8 g; Carbohydrate: 25 g; Fibre: 5 g; Sugars: 3 g; Fat: 9 g; Saturated Fat: 2.5 g; Trans Fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 8 mg; Sodium: 249 mg; Potassium: 341 mg