Combining barley flakes with yogurt overnight softens them, and it gives you options in the morning. Serve dressed up with cinnamon, fruit and nuts, or add juice and fruit and give the mixture a whirl in a blender for a wholesome and filling smoothie.
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) plain or flavoured low-fat or no-fat yogurt (plus more to thin, if desired)
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) barley flakes
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) ground flaxseed (optional)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) fruit (e.g., berries, sliced bananas, chopped apple or peach)
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) chopped walnuts or almonds (optional)
- Maple syrup or liquid honey (optional)
In a bowl or small container, combine yogurt and barley flakes. Cover and refrigerate for at least two hours or overnight.
When ready to serve, if mixture is very thick, stir in a little yogurt to thin to desired thickness. Stir in flaxseed and cinnamon, if using. Sprinkle with fruit and nuts, if using, or stir into mixture. Sweeten to taste with maple syrup or honey, if desired.
Makes 1 serving.
* Depending on the type of yogurt used and your personal preference, barley and yogurt mixture may need to be thinned after standing overnight. Use a little more yogurt or a splash of milk or juice.
* Recipe can be easily adjusted to make additional servings. It will keep, refrigerated, for a day or two.
* To make an Overnight Barley Breakfast Smoothie, combine yogurt and barley flakes; refrigerate overnight. In the morning, in a blender, combine mixture with 1/3 cup (75 mL) unsweetened fruit juice, 1 cup (250 mL) frozen or fresh fruit, and flaxseed and cinnamon, if using. Process until blended and smooth, 30 to 45 seconds, stopping partway to scrape down side of blender, if necessary. Sweeten to taste, if desired. Makes about 1 1/3 cups (325 mL).
Nutritional Information (per serving, made with blueberries): Calories: 182 273; Protein: 14 g 15 g; Carbohydrate: 33 g 55 g; Fibre: 5 g 7 g; Sugars: 12 g 26 g; Fat: 0.5 g 1.5 g; Saturated Fat: 0 g 0.1 g; Trans Fat: 0 g 0 g; Cholesterol: 0 mg 0 mg; Sodium: 48 mg 49 mg; Potassium: 57 mg 446 mg
Made this with Greek yogurt and a splash of almond milk, raisins, and pie spice. Easy, filling, and tasted great! Thanks for the base recipe, so many ways to change things up.