Fresh kale can be a little tough to chew. Cutting away the ribs and finely chopping the leaves solves that problem. Small pieces of kale means there will be kale goodness in every bite of this salad.
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooked barley*
- 4 cups (1 L) finely chopped kale, ribs removed
- 1 cup (250 mL) shelled edamame
- ¼ cup (60 mL) olive oil
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh dill (or 1 tsp (5 mL) dried dill)
- ½ tsp (2 mL) granulated sugar
- ½ tsp (2 mL) grated lemon rind
- ¼ cup (60 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
To cook barley, in a medium saucepan over high heat, bring 1 cup (250 mL) pot or pearl barley and 2 cups (500 mL) water to a boil. Cover pan and reduce heat. Simmer until barley is tender, about 40 minutes.
In a large bowl, combine barley, kale, and edamame.
In a small bowl, whisk oil, lemon juice, dill, sugar, and lemon rind. Pour dressing over barley mixture and toss until well coated. Cover and chill for 30 minutes to blend flavours.
Before serving, garnish with Parmesan cheese.
Makes about 5 cups (1.25 L).
Nutritional Information (per 1 cup (250 mL) serving): Calories: 246; Protein: 7 g; Carbohydrate: 26 g; Fibre: 5 g; Sugars: 1 g; Fat: 14 g; Saturated Fat: 2.5 g; Trans Fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 4 mg; Sodium: 88 mg; Potassium: 421 mg