These almond biscotti are double baked and then dipped in chocolate, but the delicious results are well worth the extra steps.
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) whole barley flour
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter or margarine
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) almond extract
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) blanched almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grated orange rind
- 8 oz (250 g) (8 squares) semi-sweet or bittersweet baking chocolate
Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Lightly grease a cookie sheet.
In a small bowl, combine barley flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large mixing bowl, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Stir in vanilla and almond extract, then almonds and orange rind. Stir in flour mixture just until blended.
On prepared cookie sheet, shape stiff dough into two 4-inch (10 cm) wide by 3/4-inch (2 cm) thick loaves. Bake for 25 minutes. Cool loaves on wire rack for 5 minutes, then cut each loaf on the diagonal into 1/2-inch (1.5 cm) thick slices. Arrange slices cut side up on cookie sheets and bake until golden, about 10 minutes; turn over and bake other side until golden, about 10 minutes. Cool biscotti on rack.
Line a clean cookie sheet with parchment paper. Melt chocolate as directed on the package and dip one end of each biscotti into it, spreading with a spatula, if desired. Or drizzle chocolate over biscotti using a small spoon. Place on cookie sheet and refrigerate until chocolate sets, about 15 minutes.
Makes 24 biscotti.
Nutritional Information (per biscotti): Calories: 182; Protein: 3 g; Carbohydrate: 24 g; Fibre: 1 g; Sugars: 12 g; Fat: 10 g; Saturated Fat: 4.5 g; Trans Fat: 0.2 g; Cholesterol: 26 mg; Sodium: 87 mg; Potassium: 35 mg