A simple to make shortcake is often served at Pat’s house. This version with rustic cakes made from barley flour is one of the best when topped with mixed berries and whipped cream.
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole barley flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grated lemon rind
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter or margarine
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) milk (approximately)
- 1 cup (250 mL) whipping cream
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) icing sugar
- 6 cups (1.5 L) mixed fresh berries (sliced strawberries, raspberries, Saskatoons or blueberries)
In medium bowl, combine barley and all-purpose flours, sugar, baking powder, lemon rind and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add egg and enough milk to moisten dry ingredients. Shape dough into six mounds on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 450°F (230°C) for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Whip cream, adding icing sugar. Split cakes in half horizontally; fill and top with berries and whipped cream.
Makes six servings.
Nutritional Information (per serving): Calories: 560; Protein: 8 g; Carbohydrate: 63 g; Fibre: 9 g; Sugars: 23 g; Fat: 32 g; Saturated Fat: 19 g; Trans Fat: 1 g; Cholesterol: 129 mg; Sodium: 553 mg; Potassium: 283 mg