- 4 tbsp (50 mL) canola oil, divided
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 lbs (1 kg) boneless beef blade steak, sliced ¼ inch (6 mm) thick
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) whole barley flour
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) dried thyme
- 1 (341 mL) bottle or can of beer
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) pot or pearl barley
- 1 (284 mL) can lower salt beef broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped parsley
In a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil. Add onion slices and brown lightly. Remove to a separate dish. Add 2 tbsp (25 mL) oil and half of the meat; sprinkle with half of the salt and pepper and brown. Sprinkle with about half of the flour; stir and remove to a heavy Dutch oven or large saucepan. Repeat with the remaining meat, salt and pepper. Spoon into the Dutch oven and top with browned onions. Add bay leaf, thyme and beer. Bring to a boil and cover. Reduce heat and simmer 1 1/2 hours or until the meat is tender.
Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, heat remaining oil. Stir in barley. Add beef broth and water and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer 40 to 45 minutes or until barley is tender. Spoon barley onto a serving plate and top with beef and onion mixture. Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information (per serving): Calories: 438; Protein: 38 g; Carbohydrate: 32 g; Fibre: 6 g; Sugars: 3 g; Fat: 16 g; Saturated Fat: 4.5 g; Trans Fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 68 mg; Sodium: 500 mg; Potassium: 717 mg