These barley and vegetable pancakes are light and lacey, with a crisp exterior and satisfying chewy texture. Serve with sausages, applesauce and yogurt for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
- 1 cup (250 mL) cooked pearl or pot barley
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded yellow potato
- ½ cup (125 mL) shredded carrot
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) whole barley flour
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cooking oil spray
- Unsweetened apple sauce (optional)
- Plain 2% yogurt (optional)
Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
In a large mixing bowl, combine barley, potato, carrot and green onions. Toss with flour and salt. Stir in eggs and ground pepper.
Spray a baking sheet thoroughly with cooking oil spray. Spoon 2 tbsp (30 mL) of mixture onto baking sheet and spread slightly to make a 2 inch (5 cm) pancake. Repeat with remaining mixture forming 12 to 14 pancakes.
Bake for 7to 8 minutes. Flip pancakes and continue baking for 7to 8 minutes more, until golden and crisp. Serve immediately, topped with a spoonful of applesauce and yogurt ,if desired.
Makes 12 to 14 pancakes.
Nutritional Information (per pancake, 1/12 of recipe): Calories: 52; Protein: 2 g; Carbohydrate: 10 g; Fibre: 1 g; Sugars: 1 g; Fat: 1 g; Saturated Fat: 0.3 g; Trans Fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 32 mg; Sodium: 113 mg; Potassium: 44 mg