- ½ cup (125 mL) slivered almonds
- 2 cups (500 mL) vegetable broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) pot or pearl barley
- 1 (398 mL) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- ¾ cup (175 mL) diced zucchini
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) diced green onions
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
On an ungreased baking pan, spread almonds evenly. Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring once or twice to ensure even browning.
In a medium saucepan, bring vegetable broth to a boil and stir in barley. Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes; drain and cool.
In a large salad bowl, place drained kidney beans, diced pepper, zucchini, green onions and cooled barley. Blend oil, vinegar, salt and pepper and drizzle over salad; toss well. Garnish with toasted almonds.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information (per serving): Calories: 212; Protein: 7 g; Carbohydrate: 31 g; Fibre: 8 g; Sugars: 3 g; Fat: 7 g; Saturated Fat: 1 g; Trans Fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 0 mg; Sodium: 440 mg; Potassium: 206 mg