Enchiladas are traditionally made with corn tortillas, however, Barley Tortillas are just right for this hearty vegetarian Tex-Mex dish. Add leftover shredded chicken, pork or beef, if desired. It’s “mucho good,” either way.
- ½ cup (125 mL) pot or pearl barley
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) water
- 1 tsp (5 mL) canola oil
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 small zucchini, grated
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced
- ½ sweet pepper, diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen corn, or 1 14-oz (398 mL) can corn kernels, drained
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground oregano
- 12 barley flour tortillas (see recipe on page x) or purchased 6-inch (15 cm) flour tortillas
- 1 14-oz (398 mL) can no-sodium or low-sodium tomato sauce
- 1 cup (250 mL) medium-spicy tomato salsa
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded medium Cheddar cheese
- ½ cup (125 mL) sliced green onion, for garnish
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Lightly grease a 13 x 9 inch (33 x 23 cm) casserole dish.
In a small saucepan, combine barley and water. Cover and cook for 30 minutes, until barley is tender.
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic, onion, zucchini, carrot, jalapeno, red pepper, corn, chili powder, cumin and oregano. Heat through, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, until vegetables are soft and fragrant. Stir in cooked barley. Cool.
To fill tortillas, spoon 1/3 cup (75 mL) barley mixture down the centre of each tortilla, and fold over sides. Place fold side down, in one layer, filling the casserole dish.
In a small bowl, stir together tomato sauce and salsa. Spread evenly over enchiladas. Sprinkle cheese overtop. Bake 35 to 40 minutes until bubbling and hot.
Makes 12 enchiladas.
Tip: Cook extra barley, package it in 1-cup (250 mL) containers and freeze to have on hand to add to fillings, soups and salads.
Nutritional Information (per enchilada): Calories: 264; Protein: 5 g; Carbohydrate: 36 g; Fibre: 6 g; Sugars: 5 g; Fat: 12 g; Saturated Fat: 3.5 g; Trans Fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 10 mg; Sodium: 482 mg; Potassium: 132 mg