- 2 cups (500 mL) pot or pearl barley
- 7 cups (1.75 L) water
- 1 (102 g) pkg instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 cups (500 mL) milk
- 1 (250 g) pkg cream cheese, softened
- 1 (398 mL) can crushed pineapple
- 1 ½ cups (375 mL) whipping cream
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) icing sugar
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) vanilla or rum extract
- Banana, kiwifruit, mandarin orange segments, raspberries
In a large saucepan, combine barley and water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to simmer; cover and cook for 40 minutes; drain and chill. Prepare pudding mix with milk, following package directions. Beat softened cream cheese until smooth. Fold in pudding mix, undrained crushed pineapple and cooked barley. Whip cream, adding icing sugar and vanilla or rum; fold into cream cheese mixture.
Spoon into serving dishes and garnish with fresh fruit.
Makes 12 servings.
Nutrition Information (per serving, excludes fresh fruit): Calories: 367; Protein: 7 g; Carbohydrate: 44 g; Fibre: 6 g; Sugars: 16 g; Fat: 19 g; Saturated Fat: 11 g; Trans Fat: 0.5 g; Cholesterol: 66 mg; Sodium: 155 mg; Potassium: 250 mg