- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grated lemon rind
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) pot or pearl barley
- 4 cups (1 L) low salt chicken broth
- 12 oz (350 g) peeled and deveined raw shrimp
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen peas
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh parsley
In a large saucepan, heat oil; sauté and stir onion, garlic, lemon rind and pepper until onion is softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in barley and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring vigorously halfway through for 15 seconds. Stir in shrimp and peas; cover and simmer until shrimp are pink and peas are tender, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information (per serving): Calories: 358; Protein: 29 g; Carbohydrate: 48 g; Fibre: 10 g; Sugars: 4 g; Fat: 6 g; Saturated Fat: 1 g; Trans Fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 119 mg; Sodium: 312 mg; Potassium: 236 mg