- 1 (284 mL) can lower salt chicken broth, undiluted
- 1 1/3 cups (325 mL) water
- 1 cup (250 mL) pot or pearl barley
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) canola oil
- 8 ounces (250 g) breakfast sausage, diced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped parsley
- 4 eggs
- Pinch salt and pepper
In medium saucepan, bring chicken broth and water to a boil. Add barley; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 45 to 50 minutes until barley is tender. In a large skillet, heat oil. Add sausage, onion and garlic, and cook until sausage is brown. Drain off excess fat and add cooked barley. Stir and cook just until barley begins to brown. Stir in parsley. Spoon sausage barley hash into four lightly greased ramekins or oven-safe single serving dishes, approximately 1 cup (250mL) each. Break an egg into each dish and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake at 375°F (190°C) for 10 to 15 minutes or until yolk is set and white is no longer runny.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information (per serving): Calories: 492; Protein: 26 g; Carbohydrate: 45 g; Fibre: 8 g; Sugars: 1 g; Fat: 24 g; Saturated Fat: 8 g; Trans Fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 233 mg; Sodium: 809 mg; Potassium: 316 mg