Use a favourite pasta sauce to make this hearty risotto-style dish. It’s not necessary to peel the eggplant.
- 2 cups (500 mL) cubed eggplant
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped green sweet peppers
- ½ cup (125 mL) chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jar (approximately 625 mL (2½ cups) tomato pasta sauce
- 1½ cups (375 mL) water
- 1 cup (250 mL) pot or pearl barley
- Grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish, if desired
In a large saucepan, combine eggplant, mushrooms, green peppers, onion, garlic, pasta sauce, water and barley. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until barley is tender and mixture is a creamy risotto-like texture, about 45 minutes. Garnish each serving with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Makes 4 servings (about 1½ cups (375 mL) each).
Nutritional Information (per serving): Calories: 278; Protein: 9 g; Carbohydrate: 59 g; Fibre: 15 g; Sugars: 12 g; Fat: 2 g; Saturated Fat: 0.2 g; Trans Fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 0 mg; Sodium: 720 mg; Potassium: 394 mg