- 2 lbs (1 kg) boneless chicken thighs (about 12)
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 4 celery stalks, coarsely diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced ginger root
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) curry powder
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) pot or pearl barley
- 1 cup (250 mL) low salt chicken broth
- 1 (796 mL) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup (250 mL) full fat plain yogurt
Sprinkle chicken with lemon juice; arrange over bottom of slow cooker stoneware. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; add celery and onions. Cook, stirring for 5 minutes until celery is softened. Add garlic and ginger; stir and cook for 1 minute. Add curry powder and salt; stir and cook for 1 minute. Stir in barley and then add chicken broth and tomatoes along with their juice; bring to a boil and pour over chicken.
Cover and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours or on high for 2 ½ to 3 hours, until food thermometer inserted into chicken registers 165°F (74°C). Stir yogurt into chicken mixture. Cover and cook on high for 10 minutes.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information (per serving): Calories: 433; Protein: 33 g; Carbohydrate: 38 g; Fibre: 8 g; Sugars: 7 g; Fat: 18 g; Saturated Fat: 5 g; Trans Fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 128 mg; Sodium: 647 mg; Potassium: 300 mg