- 1 cup (250 mL) whole barley flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup (175 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- ½ tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- ¼ cup (50 mL) butter or margarine
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¾ cup (175 mL) orange juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) orange rind
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh or frozen and thawed cranberries, chopped
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) pecans, chopped
Lightly spray a 9 x 5 inch (2 L) loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray or line with parchment paper. In a large bowl, combine flours, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Cut in butter until it resembles coarse cornmeal. Combine beaten eggs, orange juice and rind; pour over dry ingredients and mix until dry ingredients are just blended. Pour batter into pan. Fold cranberries and nuts into batter. Bake in a 350°F (180°C) oven for 55 to 60 minutes or until a cake tester or toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes. Then turn loaf out of pan and cool on rack.
Makes 16 slices.
Nutritional Information (per slice): Calories: 146; Protein: 2 g; Carbohydrate: 23 g; Fibre: 2 g; Sugars: 11 g; Fat: 6 g; Saturated Fat: 2 g;l Trans Fat: 0.1 g; Cholesterol: 32 mg; Sodium: 266 mg; Potassium: 55 mg