- 2 cups (500 mL) whole barley flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (50 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- ½ cup (125 mL) cold butter
- ¾ cup (175 mL) light cream
- 1 egg
- 75 g (70%) dark chocolate, cut in small chunks (about ½ cup (125 mL))
- ½ cup (125 mL) dried cherries
- ½ cup (125 mL) chopped pecans
In a large bowl, mix barley flour and all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut butter into flour mixture, until it resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk together cream and egg. Reserve 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the egg mixture and add remainder to flour mixture along with chocolate, cherries and pecans. Stir with a fork just until evenly moistened. With lightly floured hands, gather dough into a ball and place on a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet. Flatten into a round about 1 ¾ inches (4.5 cm) thick. Cut into 8 wedges. Separate the wedges slightly and brush with reserved cream mixture. Bake scones at 350°F (180°C) until tops are brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Serve warm or cold.
Makes 8 scones.
Nutritional Information (per scone): Calories: 484; Protein: 5 g; Carbohydrate: 51 g; Fibre: 6 g; Sugars: 14 g; Fat: 32 g; Saturated Fat:15g; Trans Fat: 0.5 g; Cholesterol: 80 mg; Sodium: 329 mg; Potassium: 145 mg