- 1 lb (500 g) ground bison
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) pot or pearl barley
- 1 (796 mL) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (284 mL) cans low salt beef stock, undiluted
- 4 cups (1 L) water
- 4 carrots, finely chopped
- 3 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp (2 mL) thyme
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) pepper
- ¼ cup (50 mL) chopped parsley
In a large saucepan, brown bison, breaking it into chunks as it browns. Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes. Stir in barley, then add canned tomatoes, beef stock, water, chopped carrots and celery, bay leaf, thyme and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour. Stir in chopped parsley. Add more water if soup becomes too thick.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information (per serving): Calories: 268; Protein: 16 g; Carbohydrate: 29 g; Fibre: 6 g; Sugars: 5 g; Fat: 10 g; Saturated Fat: 0.2 g; Trans Fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 40 mg; Sodium: 310 mg; Potassium: 476 mg