- 1 ½ lbs (750 g) lean ground beef
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup (250 mL) pot or pearl barley
- 1 (284 mL) can beef broth
- 1 (284 mL) can water
- 1 (540 mL) can whole tomatoes
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole kernel corn
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) brown sugar, firmly packed
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt, or to taste
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vinegar
In a large skillet, over medium high heat, lightly brown beef; add green pepper, onion and garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Pour mixture into slow cooker.* Stir in barley and remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours or until barley is soft.
*Or stir barley and remaining ingredients into skillet mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until barley is tender, stirring occasionally.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information (per serving): Calories: 428; Protein: 27 g; Carbohydrate: 40 g; Fibre: 7 g; Sugars: 7 g; Fat: 18 g; Saturated Fat: 7 g; Trans Fat: 1 g; Cholesterol: 77 mg; Sodium: 705 mg; Potassium: 689 mg