As a breakfast beverage or snacktime sipper, this smoothie packs a wallop of flavour and health benefits. The many possible combinations you can dream up using different fruits, juices, yogurts and optional ingredients means you can make a unique smoothie every day!
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh or unsweetened frozen fruit of your choice (e.g. blueberries, raspberries, sliced strawberries or banana,
- chopped mango or peach)
- 1 cup (250 mL) fruit juice
- 1 cup (250 mL) plain or flavoured fat-free or low fat yogurt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) barley flakes
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) ground flaxseed or wheat germ (optional)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cinnamon (optional)
In a blender, place fruit, fruit juice, yogurt, barley flakes, and flaxseed and cinnamon, if using. Process on High speed until smooth and combined, about 30 to 45 seconds.
* Using frozen fruit will make the drink slightly thicker and colder. Or, add a few ice cubes before blending.
Makes 2 servings (1-1/4 cups/300 mL each).
Nutritional Information (per serving) (based on using 1/2 banana, orange juice and fat-free honey Greek yogurt): Calories: 258; Protein: 15 g; Carbohydrate: 51 g; Fibre: 5 g; Sugars: 23 g; Fat: 1 g; Saturated Fat: 0.1 g; Trans Fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 0 mg; Sodium: 49 mg; Potassium: 494 mg