Who doesn’t love the crunchy texture and fresh flavour of a Greek salad? Save leftover cooked barley from a previous meal, or cook extra barley to add to the usual Greek salad components to make this not-so-typical Greek salad. Barley adds a nutty flavour as well as fibre and essential vitamins.
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooked pearl or pot barley
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped cucumber
- 1 cup (250 mL) halved cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced sweet pepper (any colour)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sliced Kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) crumbled feta cheese
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
- 1 clove garlic, minced
In a large bowl, combine barley, cucumber, tomatoes, sweet pepper, onion, olives and feta cheese.
In a small bowl, whisk together oil, lemon juice, oregano and garlic. Pour over barley mixture and toss gently to coat all ingredients with dressing.
Makes 4 servings (1 1/3 cups/325 mL each).
Nutrition Information (per serving): Calories: 270; Protein: 5 g; Carbohydrate: 33 g; Fibre: 6 g; Sugars: 5 g; Fat: 15 g; Saturated Fat: 2.5 g; Trans Fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 4 mg; Sodium: 203 mg; Potassium: 461 mg