- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup (125 mL) chopped red pepper
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) pot or pearl barley
- 4 cups (1 L) chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cups (500 mL) fresh or frozen, thawed corn kernels
- ½ cup (125 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) pepper
In a large ovenproof saucepan or Dutch oven, heat oil. Sauté onion, garlic, red pepper and carrots for 4 minutes until onion is softened. Stir in barley, then pour in stock. Cover and bake in a 350°F (180°C) oven for one hour. Stir in corn and parsley; add salt and pepper to taste. Bake for 10 minutes or until heated through and barley is tender.
Makes 8 servings.
Note: This dish can be covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days. To reheat, stir in ½ cup (125 mL) stock or water.
Nutritional Information (per serving): Calories: 158; Protein: 5 g; Carbohydrate: 30 g; Fibre: 6 g; Sugars: 4 g; Fat: 3 g; Saturated Fat: 0.4 g; Trans Fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 0 mg; Sodium: 288 mg; Potassium: 371 mg