- 2 cups (500 mL) whole barley flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) powdered mustard
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- ½ cup (125 mL) unsalted butter, cut in chunks
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded old cheddar cheese
- ½ cup (125 mL) cooked bacon bits
- ¼ cup (50 mL) chopped green onion
- ¾ cup (175 mL) milk
In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, powdered mustard and salt. Cut in butter until it resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cheese, bacon and green onion. Add milk and stir until dry ingredients are moistened. With lightly floured hands, transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and knead several times. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet and flatten into a round about 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick. Cut with a knife into 8 triangles. Bake at 400°F (200°C) until golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
Makes 8 scones.
Nutritional Information (per scone): Calories: 298; Protein: 8 g; Carbohydrate: 22 g; Fibre: 4 g; Sugars: 2 g; Fat: 23 g; Saturated Fat: 11 g; Trans Fat: 0.4 g; Cholesterol: 54 mg; Sodium: 465 mg; Potassium: 46 mg