- 1 cup (250 mL) wild rice
- 4 cups (1 L) chicken broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) pot or pearl barley
- 2 medium red peppers, chopped
- ¼ cup (50 mL) chopped green onions
- 2 cups (500 mL) frozen corn, thawed
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) soy sauce
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) rice vinegar
- ¼ cup (50 mL) sesame oil
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped pecans
In a large saucepan, bring wild rice and chicken broth to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Add barley and continue simmering for an additional 40 minutes. Cover and let stand until all moisture is absorbed. Cool.
Put barley mixture in a large serving bowl. Add all remaining ingredients except pecans; mix well. Place in fridge for two hours or overnight. Add pecans just before serving.
Hint: To toast pecan pieces, preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spread pecans on a cookie sheet. Place in oven and set timer for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
Makes approximately 12 servings.
Nutritional Information (per serving): Calories: 312; Protein: 7 g; Carbohydrate: 32 g; Fibre: 6 g; Sugars: 4 g; Fat: 18 g; Saturated Fat: 2 g; Trans Fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 0 mg; Sodium: 719 mg; Potassium: 291 mg