- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ¾ cup (175 mL) pot or pearl barley
- 3 cups (750 mL) low salt chicken or vegetable broth
- ¾ cup (175 mL) whole grain bulgur
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped zucchini
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) toasted sliced almonds
- 1 tsp (5 mL) thyme
- 6 very large beefsteak tomatoes or 8 large tomatoes
- ½ cup (125 mL) grated white cheddar cheese
In a large saucepan, heat oil and sauté onion until softened, about 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in barley. Add broth, then bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in bulgur and continue to simmer for 12 to15 minutes or until grains are almost tender. Add zucchini; cover and cook for an additional 3 to 5 minutes until zucchini is cooked but still firm. Remove from heat and stir in almonds and thyme.
Meanwhile, cut a thin slice from stem ends of tomatoes; using a small knife and spoon, scoop out centres. Sprinkle cavities lightly with salt and place cut side down on towel to drain, about 5 minutes. Fill tomato cavities with stuffing, packing firmly; sprinkle with cheese. Place on a baking sheet and bake at 375°F (190°C) for about 15 minutes or until tomato skin is wilted and cheese is golden brown.
Make 6 servings.
Nutritional Information (per serving): Calories: 299; Protein: 13 g; Carbohydrate: 46 g; Fibre: 11 g; Sugars: 8 g; Fat: 9 g; Saturated Fat: 2.5 g; Trans Fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 13 mg; Sodium: 153 mg; Potassium: 825 mg