This stuffing is the perfect addition to your Thanksgiving dinner. Quick, easy and flavourful, this modern twist on an old favourite will keep your guests asking for more.
- 2 cups (500 mL) pot or pearl barley
- 4 ½ cups (1.125 L) chicken broth
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups (750 mL) chopped onion
- 2 cups (500 mL) sliced celery
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped carrot
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped tomato
- 2 tsp (10 mL) poultry seasoning
- Season to taste with black pepper
Optional: 1 lb (500 g) of bacon
In a medium-size saucepan over medium-low heat, add barley and chicken broth. Cover and simmer for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until cooked.
Cut bacon into 1-inch (2.5-cm) pieces.
In a frying pan, sauté bacon (if using) until crisp, then add garlic, onion, celery and carrot and cook until tender crisp. Drain fat.
Add bacon-and-vegetable mixture to barley with tomato and seasonings. Mix well. Spoon stuffing into turkey cavity. Place a slice of bread over stuffing to seal off cavity and keep stuffing moist.
Makes 6 cups (1.5 L).