- 1 cup (250 mL) butter or margarine, softened
- 1 ¼ cups (300 mL) brown sugar
- ¾ cup (175 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 tsp (15 mL) vanilla, divided
- 2 cups (500 mL) whole barley flour
- 1 ½ tsp (7 mL) baking soda
- ¾ tsp (3 mL) salt
- 3 cups (750 mL) rolled oats or barley flakes
- 1 tsp (5 mL) nutmeg
- ½ tsp (2 mL) cinnamon
- 3 cups (750 mL) icing sugar
- ½ tsp (2 mL) almond flavouring
- ¼ cup (50 mL) light cream
- Finely chopped pecans
- Fine coconut
In a large bowl, cream butter then beat in brown and white sugars. Stir in eggs and 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla. In a separate bowl, combine barley flour, baking soda, salt, rolled oats or barley flakes, nutmeg and cinnamon; stir into creamed butter until dry ingredients are moistened. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a 375°F (190°C) oven until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Cool on pan for 10 minutes then remove to cooling racks.
Place icing sugar in a medium bowl. Mix together remaining 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla, almond flavouring and cream and stir into icing sugar until smooth. Spread icing over cooled cookies and then sprinkle with pecans and coconut.
Makes about 5 dozen (60) cookies.
Nutritional Information (per cookie): Calories: 125; Protein: 1 g; Carbohydrate: 19 g; Fibre: 1 g; Sugars: 13 g; Fat: 5 g; Saturated Fat: 2.5 g; Trans Fat: 0.1 g; Cholesterol: 15 mg; Sodium: 92 mg; Potassium: 15 mg