- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup (50 mL) pot or pearl barley
- ¾ lb (350 g) chorizo or Andouille sausage
- 8 sun-dried tomato halves, thinly sliced, or ½ cup (125 mL) thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced, or to taste
- 6 stalks kale
- 1 (540 mL) can cannellini (white kidney) or Romano beans*, drained
In a medium saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Add barley; return to a boil, then cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 40 minutes.
Heat a large non-stick skillet. Meanwhile, dice sausage and then toss it into the pan, stirring to brown lightly. If dried tomatoes are very firm, soak for several minutes in warm water; drain and thinly slice. Add to the skillet. Then stir in garlic and sauté briefly. Remove ribs from kale and thinly slice leaves. Add to skillet along with cooked barley and cannellini beans; cook until kale is slightly wilted.
Makes 4 servings.
Sprinkle with crushed red pepper, if you’d like more spice.
*Romano beans used in photo for more colour.
Nutritional Information (per serving): Calories: 600; Protein: 33 g; Carbohydrate: 43 g; Fibre: 10 g; Sugars: 5 g; Fat: 33 g; Saturated Fat: 12 g; Trans Fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 75 mg; Sodium: 1601 mg; Potassium: 911 mg