- 1 lb (500g) boneless chicken breasts or thighs, cut bite sized
- 1 (540 mL) can pinto or black beans, drained
- 1 (341 mL) can corn, drained
- 1 cup (250 mL) pot or pearl barley
- 4 cups (1 L) water
- 1 (796 mL) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (213 mL) can tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chili powder, or to taste
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cumin
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
Garnishes: shredded Cheddar cheese, sour cream, diced cucumbers and lettuce, sliced green onions and tortilla chips.
In a slow cooker, combine all ingredients except garnishes. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 6 hours, stirring once half way through cooking time, especially around the bottom edges. Add more water, if required. Serve with garnishes.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information (per serving, excluding garnishes): Calories: 339; Protein: 25 g; Carbohydrate: 49 g; Fibre: 10 g; Sugars: 8 g; Fat: 4 g; Saturated Fat: 1 g; Trans Fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 44 mg; Sodium: 1007 mg; Potassium: 552 mg