- 2 lbs (1 kg) boneless skinless chicken pieces
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) canola oil
- 1 small onion
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 red pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) pot or pearl barley
- 1 (398 mL) can pineapple chunks, drained, reserving juice
- ¼ cup (50 mL) brown sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) cornstarch
- ¼ cup (50 mL) rice or white vinegar
- ¼ cup (50 mL) soy sauce
- 2 cups (500 mL) low salt chicken broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) snow peas, cooked
In a large skillet, heat 2 tbsp (30 mL) oil. Brown chicken pieces and transfer to a large casserole dish. Meanwhile, chop onion, celery and red pepper into medium chunks. Add remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil to skillet and stir vegetables for 2 minutes. Spoon over chicken, along with barley and pineapple.
In a medium saucepan, combine brown sugar, cornstarch, vinegar and soy sauce. Bring to a boil over medium high heat and add chicken broth and juice from pineapple. Bring to a boil and simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and pour over chicken. Cover and bake in a 350°F (180°C) oven for 1 ½ hours. Serve garnished with cooked snow peas.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information (per serving): Calories: 491; Protein: 40 g; Carbohydrate: 54 g; Fibre: 7 g; Sugars: 23 g; Fat: 13 g; Saturated Fat: 3 g; Trans Fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 89 mg; Sodium: 1036 mg; Potassium: 284 mg