- ½ lb (250 g) broccoli, cut in bite sized pieces (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped celery
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooked pot or pearl barley*
- 1 (284 mL) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- ½ cup (125 mL) broccoli cooking liquid
- ¾ cup (175 mL) grated cheddar cheese
In a medium saucepan of boiling water, cook the broccoli and celery for about 5 minutes until tender crisp. Drain, saving ½ cup (125 mL) of the cooking liquid. Arrange the cooked barley in a greased 8 cup (2 L) casserole. Top with cooked broccoli and celery. Combine the soup and reserved cooking liquid and pour over the broccoli. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake in a 350°F (180°C) oven for 35 minutes or until bubbly.
*In a medium saucepan, bring two cups (500 mL) of water or stock to a boil. Stir in 1 cup (250 mL) barley; reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information (per serving): Calories: 177; Protein: 6 g; Carbohydrate: 22 g; Fibre: 4 g; Sugars: 2 g; Fat: 7 g; Saturated Fat: 3.5 g; Trans Fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 17 mg; Sodium: 464 mg; Potassium: 250 mg