This Central American inspired salad uses barley instead of the usual white rice. This salad can be served over greens, or stuffed into a fish taco. Or, enjoy it as an easy to pack, satisfying salad for lunch.
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooked pearl or pot barley
- 2 green onions, finely sliced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 sweet red or yellow pepper, finely chopped
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- 1 can (14 oz / 398 mL) pineapple tidbits, drained, reserve juice
- 1 cup (250 mL) finely chopped cucumber
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) liquid honey
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground turmeric
- ½ tsp (2 mL) ground cumin
- ½ tsp (2 mL) ground ginger
- ½ tsp (2 mL) hot chili sauce (Tabasco)
In a salad bowl, toss together cooked barley, green onions, jalapeno, sweet pepper, avocado, pineapple tidbits and cucumber.
In a measuring cup or small bowl, whisk together reserved pineapple juice, canola, honey, turmeric, cumin, ginger and chili sauce for the dressing.
Toss dressing with barley mixture. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving to allow flavours to blend
Makes 8 servings (¾ cup / 175 mL each).
Nutritional Information (per serving): Calories: 130; Protein: 2 g; Carbohydrate: 22 g; Fibre: 4 g; Sugars: 7 g; Fat: 4.5 g; Saturated Fat: 0.5 g; Trans Fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 0 mg; Sodium: 22 mg; Potassium: 194 mg