Jicama is a crispy, sweet tuber that resembles a turnip. It’s a wonderful complement to juicy strawberries and tender, chewy barley in a tangy lime and mint dressing. For best flavour, allow the dressing to mellow in the fridge before serving.
- ¾ cup (175 mL) pot or pearl barley
- ½ cup (125 mL) fruit juice (apple, orange or berry)
- 2 cups (500 mL) water
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced fresh strawberries
- 1 cup (250 mL) peeled and diced jicama
- ¼ cup (60 mL) roasted, unsalted pumpkin seeds
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup (60 mL) lime juice
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 2 tsp (10 mL) liquid honey
- 1 tsp (5 mL) crushed dried mint
- ½ tsp (2 mL) cumin
- Coarsely ground black pepper, to taste
In a medium saucepan, combine barley, juice and water. Over medium-low heat, simmer until barley is tender and all liquid is absorbed, approximately 40 minutes. Remove from heat, fluff barley and cool slightly.
In a salad bowl, toss together strawberries, jicama, pumpkin seeds and green onions. Add cooled barley and combine well.
In a measuring cup or small, deep bowl, whisk together juice, oil, honey, mint, cumin and pepper until well blended. Stir into salad ingredients. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 24 hours before serving to allow flavours to bleld.
Makes 8 servings (½ cup/125 mL each).
Nutritional Information (per serving): Calories: 130; Protein: 3 g; Carbohydrate: 22 g; Fibre: 5 g; Sugars: 5 g; Fat: 4 g; Saturated Fat: 0.5 g; Trans Fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 0 mg; Sodium: 7 mg; Potassium: 153 mg