Serve as an inspired appetizer, or prepare the night before, wrap the lettuce leaves separately and enjoy a fresh flavour-packed… packed lunch!
- 1 cup (250 mL) pot or pearl barley
- 3 cups (750 mL) water
- 2 green onions, finely sliced
- 1 avocado, cut into small cubes
- ¼ cup (60 mL) diced red sweet pepper
- 1 ½ cups (375 mL) small cooked shrimp or diced cooked large shrimp
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh bean sprouts, rinsed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) fish sauce or sodium reduced soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) lime juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grated ginger root
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Asian hot pepper sauce, such as Sriracha
- 1 tsp (5 mL) granulated sugar or honey
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) sesame oil
- 8 lettuce leaves
In a medium saucepan over high heat, bring barley and water to boil; cover pan and reduce heat. Simmer until barley is tender, about 40 minutes. Cool cooked barley.
In a salad bowl, toss cooled barley with green onions, avocado, sweet pepper, shrimp and bean sprouts.
In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk garlic, fish sauce, lime juice, ginger, hot pepper sauce, sugar and sesame oil. This will make a thick dressing.
Pour dressing over barley mixture and toss until combined. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow flavours to blend.
Spoon about ¼ cup (60 mL) mixture onto the centre of each lettuce leaf; fold over and enjoy eating out of hand.
Makes 8 lettuce wraps.
Nutritional Information (per wrap): Calories: 161; Protein: 8 g; Carbohydrate: 25 g; Fibre: 6 g; Sugars: 2 g; Fat: 4 g; Saturated Fat: 0.5 g; Trans Fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 44 mg; Sodium: 239 mg; Potassium: 264 mg